If you are a fan of professional wrestling, you will be familiar with a wrestling ring and may be wondering about its actual size and dimensions.
This article will show you the exact dimensions of a professional wrestling ring along with other related information.
Professional wrestling ring dimensions
A wrestling ring is provided by wrestling promotions around the world as the stage for wrestlers to perform their matches.
The wrestling ring is similar to a boxing ring and even though the word ring is used, the shape of a wrestling ring is square. It is often called the “squared circle”.
World Wrestling Entertainment or WWE, is the largest wrestling promotion in the world. According to wwe.com, a wrestling ring has the dimensions of 20 feet long x 20 feet wide. As the ring is a square, all 4 sides are 20 feet long. This equals an area of 400 square feet. The ring is also 8 feet tall from the floor to the top rope.
WWE also says that “WWE’s rings are built by Carpenter at a standard 20-foot by 20-foot size, but some venues and conditions have required some slight changes”.
These dimensions are measured from corner to corner (ring interior in between the turnbuckles) and do not include the width of the ring apron.
Other measurements include:
- A wrestling ring has a mat height of 40 inches off the floor.
- Each of the four ring posts are 96 inches or 8 feet tall.
- The spacing in between the ropes is 18 inches.
- The ring apron measures 1 foot behind the ropes on all sides of the ring.
It’s important to note that not all wrestling promotions use a ring size of 20 feet x 20 feet. The following is a list of wrestling promotions along with their current ring size.
- World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE): 20′ x 20′
- All Elite Wrestling (AEW): 20′ x 20′
- World Championship Wrestling (WCW): 18′ x 18′
- Impact Wrestling: 18′ x 18′
- Ring Of Honor (ROH): 18′ x 18′
Are all wrestling rings square?
Most professional wrestling promotions use rings that are traditionally square with 4 sides but that is not always the case. Certain wrestling promotions like Total Nonstop Action or TNA have used a hexagonal 6-sided ring in the past.
What is a wrestling ring made of?
A wrestling ring is basically a wood-based platform elevated by steel beams. On top of the wood base, there is foam padding covered by a canvas cover.
The ring ropes can be made of different materials but they normally consist of fiber rope wrapped in tape. Ring ropes can also be made of steel cables wrapped with a rubber hose.
The turnbuckles are placed in the four corners to suspend the ring ropes and are made of padding.
The wrestling ring is wrapped with an apron on all sides to prevent the spectators from looking underneath the ring.
How is a wrestling ring different from a boxing ring?
Although a boxing ring and a wrestling ring are similar in many ways, there are some differences.
- Boxing rings are normally larger than wrestling rings and can have dimensions of up to 24′ x 24′.
- Boxing rings have 4 ropes whereas wrestling rings use 3.
- Boxing ring ropes are tethered together, but wrestling ring ropes are not.
- Boxing ring ropes are loose whereas wrestling ring ropes are very tight.