Last updated on April 1st, 2023 at 10:37 pm
If you’re new to cooking or baking, it can be difficult to know what kitchen tools to use for measuring dry ingredients.
Some recipes call for measurements in cups, while others ask for dry ingredients measured by weight, making things even more confusing.
Becoming familiar with different measuring aids for dry ingredients can help you cook or bake with much more success.
Measuring cups are the most common kitchen tool for measuring dry ingredients. These cups are usually sold as a nested set, and the largest cup most commonly measures 1 cup.
Other common sizes include half a cup, 1/4 of a cup, and 1/3 of a cup.
Measuring cups are specifically designed for measuring dry ingredients, so they’re ideal for measuring things like flour, rice, and sugar.
However, it’s important to note that different ingredients need to be packed into these cups differently. For example, most recipes requiring brown sugar ask that the sugar is packed firmly into the cup.
Flour can be tricky to measure correctly with a measuring cup. If you use the measuring cup to scoop up the flour, you will pack it into the cup, and this can lead to adding much more flour to a recipe than is required.
Instead, use a spoon to gently spoon the flour into the measuring cup. This will fluff the flour, adding air, which will give you a much more accurate measurement.
After you add an ingredient to your measuring cup, make sure to take a knife or another flat object and run it across the top of the cup to level it, so the ingredient creates a flat surface at the top of the cup.
This ensures that you’re getting an exact amount of the ingredients.
- PERFECT DESIGNED TO LAST A LIFETIME: Our measuring cups and spoons are all made out of one piece of metal so the handles will never bend or break off. We upgraded the material to rust resistant & durable 18/0 stainless steel and thickened the cup body to avoid cracking, easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
- CONVENIENT TO READ MEASUREMENTS: Each measuring cup also has outside markings for a smaller measurement size that is visible on the inside. The rectangular design of the measuring spoons is slim and narrow to fit into small spice jars or herb containers, ideal for measuring any amounts.
- PROFESSIONAL SET INCLUDES ALL ODD SIZES: This set comes with 7 stainless measuring cups: 1/8, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, and 1 cup, and a measuring spoon set of 7: 1/16 tsp, 1/8 tsp, 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 3/4 tsp, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, and 1 bonus Leveler & 5 Mini Measuring Spoons to help you reduce any measuring errors for cooking, baking or coffee, get delicious food.
- KEEP YOUR KITCHEN CLEAN & TIDY: Stackable measuring cups & measuring spoons in one bundle with a removable stainless ring which makes them easy to organize and store in the drawer, or hang on a kitchen hook. It is sleek and classy, when not in use, you can hang them on your kitchen wall as decorations.
- GREAT GIFT: Whether it’s for lighting the menorah, a stocking stuffer, or for a game of white elephant, these rust-resistant and durable measuring spoons and cups are safe to use for both dry and liquid ingredients and likely to bring your friends or family a smile. They are great for holiday cooking.
Glass measuring containers are more commonly used for wet ingredients, but they can also help you measure dry ingredients.
These glasses are often a bit larger than measuring cups as well, with large glasses holding as much as 4 cups, so they’re perfect for measuring larger amounts of an ingredient.
Glass measuring cups are usually a bit taller than the largest volume they hold, which helps to reduce spills when measuring liquids.
However, this means that you won’t be able to level the top of your dry ingredients when using a measuring glass, so you may not be measuring as accurately.
For this reason, measuring glasses can be used for dry ingredients in a pinch, but it’s best not to use them if you have other measuring tools available.
If you absolutely have to use a measuring glass to measure dry ingredients, you can add the dry ingredients until they reach the line.
Then, rapidly move the glass back and forth on a flat surface to level the ingredient a bit. This will give a slightly more accurate measurement.
Check out: Measuring gifts for cooking/kitchen
Measuring spoons are similar to measuring cups in that they are usually sold as a nested set with graduated sizes.
Measuring spoons are designed for measuring much smaller amounts of dry ingredients, so they are ideal for spices, salt, baking soda, or baking powder.
Most measuring spoon sets include a tablespoon, half tablespoon, teaspoon, half teaspoon, 1/4 of a teaspoon, and 1/8 of a teaspoon.
- FIVE-PIECE SET: includes 1 tablespoon (15mL), 1/2 tablespoon (7. 4mL), 1 teaspoon (5mL), 1/2 teaspoon (2. 5mL), and 1/4 teaspoon (1. 25mL)
- ESSENTIAL TOOLS: measure both wet and dry ingredients with accuracy and ease
- EASY TO READ: measurements are clearly marked in both standard and metric units
- EASY STORAGE: spoons nest and ring keeps cups together in drawer
- DISHWASHER SAFE: for easy cleanup
Adjustable Measuring Cups
Adjustable measuring cups measure the same way as regular measuring cups. However, instead of a set that includes several cup sizes, an adjustable measuring cup is just one measuring cup.
The cup is usually cylindrical and has different measurements printed along the side. A piece at the bottom moves up and down, and you can move this piece to the desired measurement.
These measuring cups are specifically designed for use with dry ingredients, so they have a flat top that’s level with the last measurement.
Many adjustable measuring cups also have markings for tablespoons, half tablespoons, or even teaspoons, so they can sometimes replace both sets.
Some adjustable measuring cups work in a slightly different way. These cups collapse, so they lie flat in a drawer. When measuring, you can push the cup open to the correct size.
- Cup is adjustable for easy, convenient measurement of various volumes
- Smooth, rotating body and comfortable turning knob is perfect for measuring and dispensing peanut butter, honey and other sticky ingredients
- Internal track easily guides plunger to desired measurement marking
- Silicone disk acts as a squeegee on inside of Cup and generous rim allows for easy pouring wet or dry ingredients
- 2 Cup capacity, dishwasher safe and BPA free
Instead of measuring dry ingredients out in cups, many people measure their ingredients using scales instead. This is particularly common in areas that use the metric system instead of the imperial system.
Measuring dry ingredients using a scale is also quite popular with bakers because it is much more accurate.
Measuring by weight ensures that whatever you make will rise and bake in the exact way you want because the ingredients will be measured exactly by weight instead of by volume.
To measure out dry ingredients using a scale, turn the scale on and put the bowl you want to combine the ingredients in on the scale.
Looking for a gift?
Check out: Measuring gifts for cooking/kitchen
Almost all scales have a function that allows you to erase or zero out weight, and you can press this button to erase the weight of the bowl.
Then, you can simply add your dry ingredients one at a time to the bowl until they equal the correct weight. For example, if you need 100 grams of flour and 50 grams of sugar, add flour until the scale reads 100.
Then, zero out the scale again before adding your 50 grams of sugar.
Scales are an excellent option for larger portions of ingredients, and sensitive scales can also be used to measure small amounts of ingredients.
However, most people who measure their flour, sugar, or other dry ingredients by weight still rely on teaspoons and tablespoons to measure out smaller amounts of baking soda, baking powder, salt, and other spices.
- Contemporary Slim Design: Made of Stainless Steel Material; It is easy to use and clean; Provides accurate weight data with a user-friendly control panel and system; With high precision sensors to ensure correct performance and readouts
- Multiple Unit Conversion Setting: You can easily switch to any unit that you need; It can show units in the following: g / kg/lb/oz/ml/milk ml; Yes! It includes milk volume measurement
- Low Energy Consumption with Included Battery: This unit comes with an button battery and doesn’t consume too much power; Plus it has an auto shut off feature
- Backlit Display (Easy to See and Read Panel): The unit has a negative white digital display so it is easy to read and see even in not well-lit rooms
- After Sales Support, Warranty, and Trusted Customer Support Team: Ultrean provides comprehensive warranty and lifetime support; Rest assured that our service does not end after the purchase
Dry Yeast Measuring Cup
Unlike other dry ingredients, dry yeast is sometimes measured separately. Even if everything else in a recipe is measured by volume, dry yeast is generally only measured in grams.
If you use measuring cups and don’t have a scale, this can make measuring yeast a challenge. A dry yeast measuring cup measures yeast in grams but looks like a volume-style measuring cup.
These cups are often quite small and only hold about 5 or 6 grams.
- STRONG MAGNETS AND SLEEK NESTING DESIGN SO YOU NEVER LOSE A SPOON: these magnetic measuring spoons nest together perfectly for easy use; strong magnets easily snap and stack together for easy storage and to help prevent losing spoons
- DURABLE, FOOD GRADE AND BPA FREE STAINLESS STEEL: features stainless steel construction; rust resistant and will not bend or break; magnetic measuring spoons are BPA free, food safe and dishwasher safe
- ACCURATE AND PRECISE MEASURING: 8 piece set includes 1 tbsp, 1/2 tbsp, 1 tsp, 3/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1/4 tsp, 1/8 tsp and leveler; magnetic measuring spoons have been third party tested for accuracy; comes with a leveler that helps measure the exact amount required; complete with accurate and easy to read measurement markings in both US Imperial and metric systems to get the best results while cooking and baking
- DUAL SIDED FOR MULTI PURPOSE USE: each magnetic measuring spoon has a slim end to better fit most spice jars; the opposite end is round and is perfect for liquids; can use for both purposes without having to wash between solids or liquids; convenient flat base allows you to rest the spoons on the counter and helps prevent spoons from falling over and spilling contents
- SLIP RESISTANT GRIP: comfortable and ergonomic grip makes magnetic measuring spoons easy to use; spoons measure 7 inches long when stacked