If you’re traveling for business or plan to attend a formal event, a garment bag can help to keep your clothes neat and clean.
A garment bag is shaped so that clothing can hang or lie flat, and this helps to reduce wrinkles. It’ll also keep your clothes from touching anything that might get them dirty, and it can help you organize various outfits.
If you want to take a garment bag on a plane, however, or if you need to fit the bag into your luggage, it can be helpful to know the size and weight of the bag.
Garment Bag Dimensions
Garment bags are available in several different sizes. Some are designed to only hold short-hang items, such as shirts or a folded pair of pants.
Most garment bags are long enough that they can hold a suit with folded pants or a short dress. Others are long enough to hold an entire suit or a long dress.
Garment bags are designed to fit clothing without compressing or folding the clothing too much, so most garment bags are at least 14 inches wide.
Larger or padded garment bags can be even wider, and many measure between 20 and 26 inches across.
The depth of a garment bag depends on how many outfits it is designed to hold. Some garment bags are only a couple of inches in depth. Most garment bags are around 5 or 6 inches in depth.
Garment bags that fold into a type of tote bag, however, can be much larger and often have a depth of 9 inches or more.
Garment bags that fold into a tote shape are often quite short and might be 22 or 24 inches tall. Long garment bags are often around 65 inches in length.
Remember that, when it’s unfolded, a garment bag must be at least long enough to hold a men’s shirt or a short dress and could be long enough to hold a long dress.
The KIMBORA 60″ Dress Garment Bag measures 60 inches long x 24 inches wide.
- Roomy Capacity: Set of 3 dress bags, each hanging garment bag has 4″ gussets to store about 5pcs silk dresses or 3pcs long trench, 3 packs can total hold up to 15pcs skirts or 9pcs winter coat;
- Use in Closet or While Travelling: 60″ length Gowns bags are perfect for all your long coats and dresses storage and travel needs, each clothes cover completely store clothing, making it great for travel, also can hanging in closet keep it tidy and organized by color;
- Trifold: There is a handle at each end, 2 handles allow you to transport without dragging your full length gowns on the ground, foldable suit bags for men travel which can fold up to carry suitable for occasional travel, camping, gym, cruise, road trip;
- Breathable Fabric: Made of breathable and sturdy material, allow clothes to breathe, top small hanger keep away from dust and hair of pets; clear PVC window and qualified 5# zipper allow access to your clothing effortless;
- Ideal for Organization: Heavy duty garment protector great for wardrobe closet, coat bags for closet storage suitable for store suits, shirts, dress, sweaters, jackets, trousers, tops, sport coats, blouse, winter coat etc, keeping closet tidy and organized.
Garment Bag Weight
Simple garment bags made of nylon or a similar fabric, without any additional padding, are generally quite light. They often weigh between 1.5 and 2 pounds when they’re empty.
Garment bags that fold up into a tote and have a hard outer shell or additional padding weigh more. The weight of these bags varies depending on the material, the size of the bag, and how much padding is included.
In general, though, these bags usually weigh around 10 or 11 pounds. Once clothing is added, this weight can easily double.
Garment Bag Materials
What material the garment bag is made of will affect the bag’s weight and size. Some garment bags are made of cotton, canvas, or cloth.
These materials are durable and can protect your clothes from dirt, tears, and wrinkles. If these fabrics are coated, they can also protect outfits from moisture, dust, and pests like moths.
Materials like this are also relatively bulky, though, and they can add weight to the bag.
Plastic and high-density polyethylene fibers such as Tyvek are also common garment bag materials. These materials will protect clothing from wrinkles, moisture, dust, dirt, and moths.
However, they aren’t breathable. In warm or humid weather, this can cause any moisture already trapped in the garment bag to collect, and this can damage clothes.
Many soft-sided garment bags include a hanger. You can hang the bag so that it won’t be jostled during transit. However, hangers can be cumbersome if you need to travel.
If you can’t hang your bag, you may want to choose a hard-sided garment bag. These bags can’t be hung but are designed to protect your clothes on a plane or during a long car ride.
How many outfits can fit in a garment bag?
How many outfits you can fit in a garment bag depends on what type of outfits you’re bringing and how thick the fabric is.
Usually, a standard garment bag can hold two full suits or three full-length outfits, such as dresses.
Most garment bags also have side or internal pockets where you can store items, such as a tie, a belt, or jewelry, that go with each outfit.
Can a garment bag be considered a carry-on?
A garment bag is usually relatively small or can be folded or rolled into a smaller size, so it can often be considered a carry-on.
Garment bags that are designed to fold up and have a stronger outer shell are quite popular as carry-ons, especially because their additional pockets can be used to store other items, such as jewelry, socks, or even small personal items.
To ensure you can bring a garment bag as a carry-on, you’ll need to check the size guidelines for the particular airline you’re flying on.
Usually, any bag smaller than 22 inches wide, 14 inches tall, and 9 inches deep is an acceptable carry-on size.
The Mancro Foldable Carry-On Garment Bag is a great option.
- ▶Perfect for a Business Trip or Vacation: Garment travel bag was deasigned to keep items organized on business trip or weekend.As suit bags for men travel, two internal zip pockets were formed in this suit travel bag for max storage capacity, including full suits,skirts,shoes and so on.External pockets to carry a variety of electronic products and travel or business documents
- ▶Keep Your Clothes Clean and Wrinkle-free: A suit bag could save your ironing time on trip for keep you clothes unwrinklable.The travel garment bag has specially been designed with internal hooks to keep suits tidy and free from wrinkle. Prepared time will be reduced because of a suit garment bag
- ▶Take It on Cruise:Travel lightly but bring enough clothes with a garment duffle bag to spend a whole weekend. The back of garment weekend bag easily slide to the extended handle of luggage.Suit hanging garment bag comes with a built-in shoulder strap and reinforced handles. The soft side makes bag easier to install on the aircraft overhead compartment
- ▶Premium Highest Quality and Long Lasting Soft Fabric:The soft-body mens travel bag is made of 1680D polyester and nylon lining(Anti wear material), which makes it water-resistant well. This mens business travel suitcase with two way zipper will be a good choice for graduation, weddings, meetings and business trips
- ▶40L Suit Garment Bag: Dimensions 22″L x 22″W x 3.5″H. The extended size of convertible garment bag for hanging clothes is 46 x 24 inches. Detachable and adjustable shoulder strap makes this dress garment travel bag help to loose load of shoulders.Carry on garment bag for travel makes people more focus on their trip. This folding travel garment bag will be a good travelers gift,too