Last updated on September 22nd, 2023 at 06:00 pm
Whether you are calibrating a scale or just looking to find something that weighs 500 grams, using AA batteries as a reference can help.
AA batteries are commonly found around the house and used in many devices like remotes and kids toys. If you don’t happen to have AA batteries on hand, they can be found at most hardware and department stores.
To figure out how many AA batteries equal 500 grams in weight, you need to learn more about the weight of the AA battery itself as they are not all the same weight.
How much does an AA battery weigh?
There are different types of AA batteries and they all have different weights. Alkaline and lithium batteries are made out of different materials and therefore have different weights.
Lithium AA batteries are lighter than Alkaline AA batteries. Lithium batteries also outperform alkaline batteries and hold a longer charge. They are the preferred choice.
Rechargeable AA batteries are the heaviest.
- The weight of a lithium AA battery is about 0.5 ounces or 14 grams.
- The weight of an alkaline AA battery is about 0.8 ounces or 22.5 grams.
- Rechargeable AA batteries weigh about 1.1 ounces or 31 grams.
How Many AA Batteries Weigh 500 Grams?
Now that we know the weight of a AA battery, we can figure out how many of them weigh 500 grams.
- 36 Lithium AA batteries weigh close to 500 grams.
- 22 Alkaline AA batteries weigh close to 500 grams.
- 16 Rechargeable AA batteries weigh close to 500 grams.
How big is an AA battery?
A normal AA battery has a diameter of about 14.5 millimeters and is 48 millimeters in height.
What is an AA battery made of?
To know the weight of an AA battery, you need to know what it is made out of. According to energizer.com, the average alkaline AA battery is made of steel and a mix of zinc/manganese/potassium/graphite, with the remaining balance made of paper and plastic.
Weight of other batteries
If you don’t have AA batteries available, you can use other batteries to figure out the weight of 500 grams. Other common household batteries include the AAA, C, D.
- The weight of a AAA lithium battery is 0.27 ounces or 7.6 grams.
- The weight of a AAA alkaline battery is 0.41 ounces or 11.5 grams.
- The weight of a AAA rechargeable battery is between 0.49-0.53 ounces or 14-15 grams.
- 66 AAA lithium batteries weigh close to 500 grams.
- 44 AAA alkaline batteries weigh close to 500 grams.
- 36 AAA rechargeable batteries weigh close to 500 grams.
C and D batteries can also be used. The average C battery weighs around 2.29 ounces or 65 grams. The average D battery weighs around 5.64 ounces or 160 grams.
- 8 C batteries weigh close to 500 grams.
- 3 D batteries weigh close to 500 grams.