If you are trying to measure a weight of 100 grams and don’t have a scale handy, there are many common items around the house that you can use as a weight reference.
Most people keep AAA batteries in their storage area and most remotes use them. So they are quite popular.
In this article, I will show you how you can easily use AAA batteries to to measure a weight of 100 grams.
First, let’s discuss the weight of a AAA battery as they are not all the same. Depending on the type of battery you have, the weight can vary slightly.
How much does a AAA battery weigh?
As mentioned, there are different types of AAA batteries and they all have different weights. Alkaline and lithium batteries are made out of different materials and therefore have different weights.
Lithium AAA batteries are lighter than Alkaline AAA batteries. Lithium batteries are a better performing battery and hold a longer charge.
Rechargeable nickel–metal hydride (NiMH) AAA batteries are the heaviest and weigh around 2x as much as the AAA lithium battery.
- The weight of a lithium AAA battery is about 0.27 ounces or 7.6 grams.
- The weight of an alkaline AAA battery is about 0.41 ounces or 11.5 grams.
- Rechargeable AAA batteries weigh between 0.49-0.53 ounces or 14-15 grams.
How many AAA batteries weigh 100 grams?
Now that we know the weight of a AAA battery, we can figure out how many of them weigh 100 grams. Simply divide 100 grams by the weight of the battery.
- 13 Lithium AAA batteries weigh close to 100 grams.
- 9 Alkaline AAA batteries weigh close to 100 grams.
- 7 Rechargeable AAA batteries weigh close to 100 grams.
This calculation may not be 100% accurate but it’s very close. If you don’t have a scale to measure exactly 100 grams, but you have AAA batteries, use them. It’s easy and convenient.
Dimensions of a AAA battery
The AAA battery measures 10.5 mm (0.41 in) in diameter and 44.5 mm (1.75 in) in length. This includes the positive terminal button, which is a minimum 0.8 mm (0.031 in).
What is a AAA battery made of?
According to energizer.com, the average alkaline AAA battery is made of steel and a mix of zinc/manganese/potassium/graphite, with the remaining balance made of paper and plastic.
Weight of other batteries
If you want to measure the weight of 1000 grams and you don’t have AAA batteries available, you can also use AA batteries.
- The weight of a lithium AA battery is about 0.5 ounces or 14 grams.
- The weight of an alkaline AA battery is about 0.8 ounces or 22.5 grams.
- Rechargeable AA batteries weigh about 1.1 ounces or 31 grams.
- 7 lithium AA batteries weigh 100 grams.
- 4 alkaline AA batteries weigh 100 grams.
- 3 rechargeable AA batteries weigh 100 grams.
C and D batteries
It’s not recommended to use C or D size batteries to measure 100 grams. Here’s why.
- The average C battery weighs around 2.29 ounces or 65 grams.
- The average D battery weighs around 5.64 ounces or 160 grams.
The D battery weighs more that 100 grams, so you would need less than 1 battery!
The C battery weighs less than 100 grams and two of them weigh more that 100 grams.
It’s best to stick with using either AA or AAA batteries as a reference for a weight of 100 grams.