If you are looking for something convenient that weighs 500 grams, you can use D size batteries as a reference.
Although the D size battery is not as common as an AA or AAA battery, most people will have them around the house. If you don’t happen to have them on hand, you can easily buy them at most hardware stores.
D batteries are often used to power larger items like a flashlight or toy.
Before you determine how many D batteries weigh 500 grams, you need to learn more about the battery itself as they are not all the same weight.
How much does a D battery weigh?
As not all D batteries are the same, they can vary slightly in weight. You may have heard of the terms alkaline and lithium batteries. These are made out of different materials and therefore have different weights.
When comparing a lithium D battery to an alkaline D battery, the lithium battery weighs less. Lithium batteries will outperform an alkaline battery and most people prefer to use them if possible.
Also, a rechargeable lithium D battery will weigh even more.
On average, the weight of a D battery will vary between 160-180 grams or 5.64-6.34 ounces each. It’s possible for certain D batteries to be slightly lighter or heavier.
For example, the Duracell D4 battery alkaline battery weighs 139 grams. So depending on what type of D battery you have, the weight can vary slightly.
How Many D Batteries Weigh 500 Grams?
Now that you know how much a D battery weighs, we can figure out how many of them weigh 500 grams.
- 3.125 Alkaline D batteries weigh close to 500 grams.
- 2.77 Lithium rechargeable D batteries weigh close to 500 grams.
So using round numbers, on average 3 D batteries weigh around 500 grams. If you are looking to find something that weighs 500 grams as a reference, 3 D batteries will be very close.
How big is a D battery?
D batteries have a length of 61.5 millimeters or 2.42 inches. They measure 1.3 inches or 33.2 millimeters in diameter.
What is a D battery made of?
The D battery is similar to an AA, AAA, C, 9-volt battery with respect to what it’s made out of. According to energizer.com, It is mostly made of steel with a mix of zinc, manganese, potassium, graphite, with the remaining balance made up of paper and plastic.
Weight of other batteries
If you don’t have access to a D battery, you can use other types of batteries as a weight reference for 500 grams. The AA and AAA batteries are quite common.
- Alkaline AA batteries weigh about .8 ounces or about 22.5 grams
- Lithium AA batteries weigh about .5 ounces or just over 14 grams.
- 22 Alkaline AA batteries weigh close to 500 grams.
- 36 Lithium AA batteries weigh close to 500 grams.
- Alkaline AAA batteries weigh about .4 ounces or about 11 grams.
- Lithium AAA batteries weigh about .3 ounces or just over 8.5 grams.
- 59 Alkaline AAA batteries weigh close to 500 grams.
- 45 Lithium AAA batteries weigh close to 500 grams.