This article will cover the actual dimensions of baseball, soccer, and football fields.
All fans of these popular sports are interested in knowing the size of the various fields.
Even though these 3 sports are played on fields with many similarities, their sizes are different.
Of course, there are too many sports fields to cover them all, but you will learn the dimensions of baseball, soccer, and football fields along with some other interesting facts.
Baseball field dimensions
The sport of baseball is played on a baseball field which is also called a baseball diamond. The field is divided into 2 sections called the infield and outfield.
The infield area is filled with dirt around the home plate and bases. The rest of the infield and the outfield is filled with grass or turf.
There is also a foul territory which is made with grass or turf.
According to mlb.com, the main dimensions of a baseball field are:
- Distance from home plate to the center field wall – 400 feet
- Distance from home plate to left and right field wall – 325 feet
- Distance between bases – 90 feet
- Distance between the back of home plate and the pitcher’s mound – 60.5 feet
- The pitcher’s mound is 24 inches x 6 inches and is elevated 10 inches above home plate
- The home plate is a 5-sided slab. The front side facing the pitcher is 17 inches long. The left and right side of the plate is 8.5 inches long and the angled sides forming the point closest to the catcher are 12 inches long. Home plate dimensions in baseball and softball are the same.
- Each base measures 15 inches square (15″x15″) and is between 3 – 5 inches thick.
- Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles had the highest attendance during the 2022 season averaging over 47,000 fans each game.
- Every major league baseball game uses over 100 baseballs.
Soccer field dimensions
A soccer field is somewhat similar to a football field in size and shape. Depending on where you live, the sport of soccer is called football which is played with a round soccer ball.
A soccer field has a rectangular shape and can be made with natural grass or artificial turf.
Soccer fields can vary in size depending on location but on average a soccer field is between 100-130 yards in length and 50-100 yards wide.
Many soccer stadiums will use a field that is 120 yards long and 75 yards wide.
The area of a soccer field is 9000 square yards.
Other soccer field dimensions:
- Soccer goal net – 24 feet long, 8 feet tall, and 10 feet wide
- The penalty area measures 18 yards long and 36 yards wide
- The penalty kick mark is measured 12 yards from the center of the goal
- The center circle of the field has a radius of 10 yards
- Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, played in over 200 countries.
- A soccer ball has a circumference of 27 – 28 inches and weighs close to 1 pound.
Football field dimensions
As mentioned above, a football field is similar in size and shape to a soccer field. A football field in the USA is used in professional leagues like the National Football League (NFL) which uses a spherical-shaped ball.
A football field has dimensions of 120 yards long and 53.3 yards wide.
The area of a football field is 6396 square yards.
Other football field dimensions:
- The football goalposts are 25 feet tall and connected to a crossbar that is 10 feet off the ground
- The total height of the goalposts is 35 feet
- The yard lines are placed 5 yards apart and are divided into 1-yard increments
- Every 10 yards is marked with a number representing the number of yards from the goal line
- The distance between the goal lines is 100 yards
- Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor Michigan is home to the University of Michigan and can hold just under 110,000 fans.
- It can take up to 20 hours to paint all the markings on a football field.