Last updated on September 22nd, 2023 at 01:24 pm
Travel mugs are a convenient way to take your coffee, tea, or even hot cocoa with you as you drive to work or run errands.
These mugs are insulated, so they’ll keep hot drinks warm or cold drinks cool.
Before selecting a travel mug, though, it’s important to check that it’ll hold the right amount of liquid for you and that it will fit in your car’s cup holder.
Travel Mug Dimensions
Travel mugs are available in a wide range of sizes and even shapes. Most travel mugs, however, have at least a slight taper, so the top of the mug is wider than the bottom.
Some larger travel mugs have a very pronounced taper. This ensures that you can fit even a larger travel mug into a standard cup holder.
The most common capacity for travel mugs is 20 fluid ounces. These mugs can be any shape, so they can have almost any dimensions.
However, most 20-ounce travel mugs have a base that is about 2.75 inches in diameter. These mugs can be between 6.5 and 9.25 inches tall.
Taller mugs generally have a narrower top that might be close to 2.75 inches in diameter, but most 20-ounce travel mugs are a bit shorter, averaging around 7.5 inches tall, and their top diameter is about 3.5 inches.
The Yeti Rambler 20oz travel mug has dimensions of 4.8″W x 7.4″H and weighs 1.2 pounds.
- Bring on the potholes, quick turns, and backcountry roads because this 20oz. travel mug holds enough caffeine for even the biggest coffee drinkers.
- Features 18/8 STAINLESS STEEL that resists dents and drops. DOUBLE-WALL VACUUM INSULATION that keeps drinks cold to the last drop. DISHWASHER SAFE because no one needs more work to do.
- STRONGHOLD LID – Twist-on, twist-off lid backed with dual-slider magnet technology to keep your coffee full and worries away. (As long as it’s closed.)
- 360-DEGREE WELDED HANDLE – Cup-holder compatible and gives you a firm grip on your beverage of choice.
- Please Note: The Travel Mug can only use the Stronghold Lid and the Stronghold Lid won’t fit other Rambler Drinkware models. The Travel Mug Stronghold Lid has 4 placement options and plays nice with both righties and lefties.
Thirty-ounce tumblers are also quite common. They have a base diameter of between 2.5 and 2.75 inches and a height between 7 and 9.5 inches. They are usually about 4 inches wide at the top.
For a slightly smaller travel mug, you can find 14 or 16-ounce cups that look similar to a regular coffee cup but hold a bit more liquid.
These mugs are usually about 4 inches wide at both the top and bottom and stand between 3.75 and 4 inches tall. If the mug has a handle, the handle can extend the mug’s width by about 1 inch.
Twelve-ounce thermoses are also quite popular for travel mugs, especially in the United States, where a standard cup of coffee is between 8 and 12.5 fluid ounces.
These bottles usually don’t feature the taper of a regular travel mug. Instead, they are about 4 inches in diameter at both the top and bottom and stand around 7 to 7.5 inches tall.
Ten-ounce mugs are also a common choice for the same reasons that make a 12-ounce mug popular.
These mugs are usually about 4 to 4.5 inches tall, and they generally have a diameter of about 3.5 inches at both the top and bottom.
Travel Mug Weights
Exactly how much a travel mug weighs will depend on its size, what it is made of, and how well-insulated it is. Most travel mugs weigh between 0.5 and 1.5 pounds when they are empty.
A travel mug designed to hold 20 fluid ounces will usually weigh about 0.8 pounds. A 30-ounce mug, on the other hand, can weigh as much as 1.1 pounds.
Travel mugs made of steel or aluminum will weigh more than mugs made of plastic.
The CIVAGO 30 oz Insulated Tumbler weighs 1.42 pounds.
- YOUR NEW TRAVEL COFFEE MUG IN STYLE: CIVAGO insulated tumbler with straw made with 18/8 kitchen-grade stainless steel, which is rust-free, no metal after tasting. our tumbler cups can get you with a hot coffee when you feel bleary-eyed at work, or ice-cold beverages after tough training or workout.
- UPGRADED 2-IN-1 TUMBLER WITH HANDLE: CIVAGO new travel mug has perfectly leakproof and splash-proof sip&straw 2IN1 lid, less pay, more value (straw lid and flip-top lid). unlike other tumblers with pop-in lid, CIVAGO locking system adopt double threaded twist design, increases thermal performance, avoiding popped off when you are enjoying drinking.
- DOUBLE WALLED VACUUM COFFEE MUG CUP: CIVAGO-THERMO technology featuring copper-lined , triple layered insulated construction, keep your drink hot for up to 6 hours or cold for up to 20 hours.
- WHATS MORE FEATURES: sweat-free wont sweat in your hand, high quality powder coated finish provides scratches-free, premium material is bpafree, reusable stainless steel straw reduce plastic waste. easy-grip and fits for most standard cup holders.
- COLORFUL GIFTING CHOICE: this tumbler cup with lid is ideal for on the go or any other occasions, will be your favorite ones. builted-in matching colored flip lid, fashion style and packaging fits for gifting to your families, friends, parters, wedding, birthday, christmas, etc.
To find out how much a full travel mug will weigh, you’ll first need to figure out how much the liquid in the mug weighs.
The easiest way to figure out how much your drink weighs is to start with the weight of water. Sixteen fluid ounces of water weigh 1 pound.
From there, you can calculate how much the liquid in your particular travel mug will weigh. For example, if you have a 20-ounce mug, you can figure out that 20 ounces of water will weigh 1.25 pounds.
Coffee is almost the same weight as water. Coffee has some solids in it, so it’s slightly heavier, but this difference in weight is negligible.
This is especially true if you’re enjoying hot coffee, as hot water expands a little bit. This means less fluid will actually fit in the cup. Paired with the solids in the coffee, you can assume that your hot coffee and room temperature water weigh almost the same amount.
If you add cream, milk, sugar, or anything else to your coffee, you are increasing the coffee’s density, and this can increase its weight.
This will probably be a small increase, but you can adjust for it if you feel you need to.
You can also use the weight of water to estimate how much tea, juice, or soda will weigh when placed in a travel mug. These liquids are all slightly denser than water, but not by too much.
Now that you know how much the liquid in your mug weighs, you can figure out how much a full travel mug would weigh.
If you’re using a 20-ounce mug, you know that the liquid weighs about 1.25 pounds and the mug itself probably weighs about 0.8 pounds, so the total weight is 2.05 pounds, roughly.